Saturday, July 3, 2010

Welcome to Simplify

Did you ever notice how many people complain about how complicated their lives are? I am certainly guilty of that. It is so easy to get caught up in the momentum of our busy lifestyles, swept along by the cultural current, and believe that we are somehow all victims of something beyond our control. And yet, our life really consists of a series of decisions that we make - or fail to make. We have more control over this thing than we would like to admit.

I am at a point in life where I no longer want to blame culture, "the system" or anyone else for the direction and pace that my life is going. Instead, I am exploring how to simplify life in spite of all the noise around me that says "keep up", "do more", "try this", "you need that". I am on a quest to learn to live more simply. I am only at the beginning of this journey - but it's one I'm excited about taking. I would like to invite you along and get your thoughts, feedback and input on how and why to take this journey.

As I get started I am reminded of another journey I took a few decades ago. It was a simple journey that was very difficult to complete - in fact, by some measure I didn't complete it. I set out with a close friend of mine to circumnavigate the United States by bicycle. The trip started in Yosemite National Park and immediately headed to the coast and then north along the pacific highway toward Seattle. When you travel long distance by bicycle you are living a very simple life - everything you need to live on is contained in the bags that adorn your bicycle. On the other hand, it's very difficult, because it's slow and strenuous work to peddle yourself and all your gear up mountains, down narrow roads, through hurried and often angry motorists, and against the wind (headwinds seem to be standard equipment on touring bicycles). Simple does not mean easy. In fact, simple is extremely difficult.

On this first leg of our journey heading north on the coastal highway we got one question from people more than any other. The question was "why are you going north?". The reason for the question is that the prevailing winds along the west coast come from the north. So most cyclists who ride the coastal highway out west actually make their way to Seattle by car or train so they can start in the north and then head south - with the prevailing winds. Once when asked this question, a fellow rider that we had met along the way and were currently traveling with, gave this reply: "My grandfather was a salmon". Ever since that day, our small band of riders became known as the Salmon Cycle Touring club. We would just wave to the southbound riders with a certain smug smile, knowing that we had chosen the more difficult direction. We even had t-shirts made. A small cycle on the front of a pink shirt, and a large salmon on the back with these words underneath, "Dead fish can float downstream".

I know that "simple" is somewhere north of here, but I am determined, that in spite of the narrow roads, steep climbs and a constant headwind in my face, I will make progress toward this place. I invite you to join me.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Mike. This is a very timely topic. I look forward to sharing the journey with you. My newest RSS feed hopefully will faithfully capture your posts. Here's a related (less spiritual) blog you may find interesting: http://zenhabits.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike.

    Interesting post. Simple is definitely North of wherever we happen to be at any given moment.

    I'm curious...what answers did you and the original friend you set out with give before you met the Salmon dude? What answer might you give right now when asked why you are are headed North on your ride toward a simpler life?

    ReplyDelete